Home Energy Rebates are available for Arlington residents! You can apply for up to $575 if you add insulation or air sealing to your home, or if you replace your water heater or heating/cooling system with an efficient model.
Over 400 Arlingtonians have used the Home Energy Rebates to cut their energy bills. Keep using this application through June, and we’ll soon announce some minor tweaks to the program effective July 1, 2017. Rebates will be available through the end of the year at a minimum.
Follow these simple steps to get paid:
1. Make energy upgrades to your home
The following items are eligible for the Arlington rebate. You can follow the links below for more detailed eligibility criteria, the links go to each item’s ENERGY STAR page:
- Central air conditioners, furnaces, boilers, and heat pumps (including geothermal heat pumps) – $575 rebate. Your equipment will need to meet the efficiency minimums, generally 15-16 SEER or 95 AFUE. We recommend you ask your contractor to perform a “Manual J” calculation to ensure the system is sized properly, since oversized systems cost more and operate less efficiently. We’re also happy to answer your technical questions at email@example.com
- Water heaters – $250 rebate. Electric water heaters need to have an energy factor of 2.0 or higher, and gas/oil/propane water heaters require an energy factor of 0.82 or higher to be eligible.
- Air sealing and insulation projects – 50% of your expenses (excluding labor) are eligible. You must spend at least $200, and you can receive up to $575. In most cases, air sealing and insulating your attic offers the best bang-for-buck energy savings. Visit ENERGY STAR’s Rule Your Attic site to learn more.
Searching for a professional to perform your energy upgrades? Here is a directory of contractors who have participated in the program.
Make sure you save your receipts or another proof of payment, since you’ll need them when filling out your application.
2. Download, complete, and submit the application
Once work has been completed in your home, download and fill out the application (make sure you attach dated, itemized proof of payment, and if you’re applying for the insulation or air sealing rebate include photos of completed work), and mail your completed applications to Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment, 3308 S. Stafford St., Arlington, VA 22206.
You are eligible for a rebate if you are an Arlington resident, you’re upgrading your existing home, and the upgrades occurred on or after May 4, 2016.
Optional 2a. Combine with Washington Gas’ gas furnace rebate
As of June 2017, Washington Gas offers a $300 rebate for 90%+ AFUE gas furnaces. Follow the link and select “Virginia” and “Home Heating” from the dropdown menus. Washington Gas periodically updates their rebate offerings. Use the dropdowns to see the other rebates they offer.
3. Cash your rebate check(s) and enjoy your lower energy bills!
It’s that easy.
We’re here to guide you through the process. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org