Follow these Adopt-a-Park Program tips to make sure your volunteer experience is a safe one.
- Begin with a review of safety procedures.
- Wear proper clothing and protective gloves when picking up litter.
- Stay within your designated project boundaries.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Drink water often and take breaks on a regular basis.
- Report damaged signs or dangerous conditions to 703-228-6525.
- Have a first aid kit on hand for small emergencies.
- Call 911 immediately if anyone is seriously injured.
- Use a dust pan and broom to sweep up broken glass.
- Supervise youth under the age of 17 at all times.
- Have fun.
- Don’t pick up litter in a road, close to the edge of a road or narrow medians.
- Don’t pick up broken glass, hypodermic needles or other medical waste with unprotected hands.
- Don’t pick up liquid or semi-liquid blood, soiled clothing or articles. Report the above items to the Parks & Natural Resources Division at 703-228-6525.
- Don’t work in inclement weather.
- Don’t try to pick up or move heavy tree limbs and objects.
- Don’t overexert yourself. Take breaks and drink plenty of fluids.
- Don’t participate under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.