The 2021 ceremony was held as part of the recessed Arlington County Board meeting on Tues., April 20. Both 2019 and 2020 Notable Trees were recognized. Watch the video of the meeting on Arlington VA’s YouTube channel. The Notable Trees presentation begins at minute 1:48:45.
What Makes a Tree Notable?
- Maturity (size: within 5% of largest current notable tree, or, if the species is not on the list, greater than 30 inches for large canopy trees, and greater than 10 inches for small canopy trees)
- Uniqueness of species
- Non-invasive species
What Does Notable Designation Mean?
- Potential plaque recognition
- Placement on County’s register of Notable Trees
- Potential inclusion in neighborhood walking tours
- Authority remains with private land/tree owner
- Nominators other than the tree’s owner should contact the owner for consent before submitting an application.
- Owners may request that their names and addresses not appear on the public listing.
- Volunteers and/or County staff will measure and evaluate the tree’s health and condition before making a recommendation to the Urban Forestry Commission, which makes the final decision, with unanimous consent.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703-228-1863